It still shocks (and mostly just disappoints) me how SHOCKED people are when I tell them that it is 100% legal to be fired simply for being gay.
They look at me like I’m lying and say things like “nooooo, that can’t be right?”.
I have been fired twice (in Ohio) for being openly gay.
I have been asked:
- to not wear my wedding ring
- Not acknowledge my wife’s existence
- To “just say you have a husband”
- To just not answer “yes” when people ask if I’m married because “you’re not REALLY married”
- To not bring my wife to the company FAMILY Christmas party
- Let people just assume we’re sisters
- Just make it easier on everyone and “just say you’re divorced”
These were not requests made from some Mom and Pop shop, I was a corporate executive for a large chain of high volume restaurants. My boss was the Director of Human Resources, and she would walk into my office and say the most ignorant things you can imagine.
People in America need to be educated on the reality that is life as a gay person in this country.
It’s not all gay pride parades and appletinis.
We need a leg to stand on.
We need people to wake up and educate themselves on the rights we are denied.
We need people…gay, straight, and in between, to open their eyes, stop ignoring what doesn’t directly effect them, and educate themselves.
THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE, PEOPLE!
- moonstar86 reblogged this from thenightyouknow
- pierce-my-veil-00 reblogged this from thenightyouknow
- pierce-my-veil-00 likes this
- iamornella reblogged this from thoughtslostandfound
- noface-mick reblogged this from thoughtslostandfound
- thoughtslostandfound reblogged this from malcolmxinadress
- xqueenjuicyx reblogged this from beautifuldisaster1121
- xqueenjuicyx likes this
- theperksofbeingchinese likes this
- fandom-man reblogged this from feministlikeme and added:
- fandom-man likes this
- owarwolf reblogged this from fumblingtowards-ecstasy
- dmitri-loves-you reblogged this from kawaiijapanesekisses
- zmagamsie reblogged this from feministlikeme
- paleskinandhazeleyes likes this
- toa13 reblogged this from lmdalp
- lmdalp reblogged this from pipeschapman
- fumblingtowards-ecstasy reblogged this from bettydevoid
- fumblingtowards-ecstasy likes this
- thefollowshipofthering likes this
- littlevelvette reblogged this from batmomy
- bettydevoid reblogged this from batmomy
- hermannghostlieb likes this
- thekatkrow reblogged this from batmomy
- joyful-death reblogged this from batmomy
- batmomy reblogged this from alicethelamb
- alicethelamb reblogged this from feministlikeme
- a-figment-of-my-imagination likes this
- teleprompters reblogged this from saveryghost
- decorativehats likes this
- manonamora likes this
- lolbbq reblogged this from saveryghost
- doesntafraid likes this
- stevemont likes this
- saveryghost reblogged this from didyoueatallthisacid
- deandredavis15 reblogged this from themaidofblood
- deandredavis15 likes this
- grace-ful-ravenclaw reblogged this from 100fahrenheitfashion
- grace-ful-ravenclaw likes this
- deny-your-destiny reblogged this from plasticseeds
- alis-volat-popriis reblogged this from axrulez
- live-love-laugh666 reblogged this from pipeschapman
- weallhavebulletsbeneathourskin reblogged this from pipeschapman
- bessi-boo reblogged this from pipeschapman
- blvckcoff33 likes this
- bloggerunkn0wn reblogged this from get-schwifty1234
- axrulez reblogged this from narcolepticnarcissus
- axrulez likes this
- eringingie reblogged this from pipeschapman
- legitbleu likes this